Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Whirly Girl Quilt...

Well its my turn on the "Whirly Girl Quilt" Bloghop - lucky last!! 

Its been quite an adventure, and I've loved seeing all the different versions of the quilt over the past couple of days.

I had a lot of fun pattern testing and creating my version of Allison's aka Campbell Soup Diary's new design, "Whirly Girl Quilt".

Allison's pattern is easy to follow and it has great pictures and diagrams to help you along as you make the quilt. I found the pattern very thorough and her attention to detail really made this quilt a quick and easy one to make.

On March 14th, the pattern was finally released and Allison is offering a 20% discount on the pattern in her Payhip Shop by using the SALE CODE: Whirly


So here's my version of the "Whirly Girl Quilt".







The Journey...

My best friend and fellow quilter, Tanya and I had a blast trying to select the fabrics for this quilt, the staff at my local patchwork shop had fabric stacks everywhere, as we curated the perfect bunch of fabrics.

I decided to go with hot pinks and mustardy yellows, with the addition of teals to create a bright and funky quilt. A great contrast of warm colours and cool colours.

There are fabrics from Art Gallery, Alison Glass, Monika Forsberg, Tokyo Milk and a few others.







I set out making the quilt, using the teal fabrics for the centre broken dish blocks and the cornerstones, and using the warmer colours for the flying geese blocks, mixing up the hot pinks and mustards to form sets, so that they were ready for piecing together. For my background fabric I chose a pale aqua spot on white, its so pale you can hardly see it, but it works in very nicely with the colours of the quilt. The background fabric is from the fabric range called 'A Day In The Country'.




Once the blocks were finished, I just had to lay them out and take a photo as I thought they looked so yummy!







I spent the past weekend at our Guild meet up,sewing all the blocks together to finally have the quilt together. I love it! The colours just sing!








Once I had finished my quilt, I really thought that it needed something extra, so I added a funky Kaffe Fassett fabric border, making sure to mitred the corners. It's stunning and it ties all the colours of the quilt together. Now it get it quilted. More on that later...








If you want to make your own version of this stunning quilt, don't forget to pop over to Alison's Payhip Shop for that 20% discount until March 24th.

To go back and see the other blogs that participated in the Bloghop, visit -

March 14th - Alison - www.campbellsoupdiary.blogspot.de
March 15th - Melaine - www.mell-meyer.de


Happy Stitching XX

Sharni


1 comment:

Melanie said...

I loooove the fabrics. Those colors are just gorgeous. Beautiful quilt top! Have fun quilting it :) xo